Daily Devotion for March 30, 2017
Psalm 133 NIV
How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity! It is like precious oil poured on the head, running down on the beard, running down on Aaron’s beard, down on the collar of his robe.
It is as if the dew of Hermon were falling on Mount Zion. For there the Lord bestows His blessing, even life forevermore.
Yesterday evening something miraculous happened: all three of my youngest children played together—by choice, without fighting—for hours! Folks, it was so “good and pleasant” to hear them laughing together, to see them living “together in unity!” The love and unity in the room made me want to join them! This morning, my kids read Psalm 133 for Bible study (by God's design—isn't that cool?). Afterwards, I reminded them that it is “good and pleasant” when “God's people live together in UNITY!” Matthew Henry's commentary gave even more insight...
1) Unity means NOT quarreling and devouring one another, but delighting in each other, promoting each other's welfare, and dwelling as one: having one heart, one soul, one interest...
2) Unity is “good and pleasant!” It is good in itself, agreeable to the will of God, the conformity of earth to heaven, it is good for us, it is for our honor and comfort, it is pleasant and pleasing to God and all good men, and it brings constant delight to those who do live in unity. Also, it is a rare thing, and therefore admirable—so unity draws others! Moreover, unity is an exemplary thing that is to be imitated by us.
3) Unity is fragrant as the holy anointing oil, which was strongly perfumed. It diffused its odors (to the great delight of all the bystanders) when it was poured “on the head” of Aaron. Just as this specific oil was holy (the ingredients and the measure of each ingredient was specified by God), so is unity—and we are unified in brotherly love. God's love has been poured out on us (through Jesus), so we Believers must strive for unity through loving one another. We do this through the love Christ has given us: the love with which we Believers have been anointed enables us to serve the Lord in unity (through love).
4) Unity is profitable as well as pleasing; it is as the dew; it brings abundance of blessings along with it, as numerous as the drops of dew. It cools the scorching heat of men’s passions, as the evening dews cool the air and refresh the earth. It contributes very much to our fruitfulness in every thing that is good; it moistens the heart, and makes it tender and fit to receive the good seed of the Word.
5. People of unity (loving people) are blessed people. They are blessed of God, and therefore blessed indeed...because the Lord commands the blessing, They are everlastingly blessed. The blessing which God commands on those that dwell in love is “life forevermore;” that is the blessing of blessings! Those that dwell in love not only dwell in God, but do already dwell in heaven. Those that live in love and peace shall have the God of love and peace with them now, and they shall be with Him shortly, with Him forever, in the world of endless love and peace. How good then is unity, and how pleasant!
Lord Jesus: keep us Believers mindful and striving for unity, because “How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity! It is like precious oil poured on the head, running down on the beard, running down on Aaron’s beard, down on the collar of his robe. It is as if the dew of Hermon were falling on Mount Zion. For there the Lord bestows His blessing, even life forevermore!”
Post a Comment
Comments for this post have been disabled.