Daily Devotion for June 8, 2017
Psalm 27:8 NLT
My heart has heard You say, “Come and talk with Me.” And my heart responds, “Lord, I am coming.”
And now about prayer. When you pray, don't be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I assure you, that is all the reward they will ever get. But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father secretly. Then your Father, who knows all secrets, will reward you.
When you pray, don't babble on and on as people of other religions do. They think their prayers are answered only by repeating their own words again and again. Don't be like them, because your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask Him! Pray like this:
Our Father in heaven,
may Your name be honored.
May Your Kingdom come soon.
May your will be done here on earth, just as it is in heaven.
Give us our food for today,
and forgive us our sins,
just as we have forgiven those who have sinned against us.
And don't let us yield to temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.
Sharing wonderful prayer reminders from last night's Bible Study...
1) “Come and talk with Me:” God desires us to come and talk with Him! He wants to hear from us! Are we doing this? Can we ever do this enough?
2) “But when you pray, go away by yourself:” Praying alone with God is most effective and best!
3) “pray to your Father secretly. Then your Father, who knows all secrets, will reward you:” there is reward for those who privately pray to their Father—increased knowledge of the Lord and of His will, stabilized souls, answered prayers, strength for the day, hope for tomorrow, joy-filled hearts...
4) “When you pray, don't babble:” eloquent sentences and big words are NOT desired by our Father—He simply wants to hear our heart.
5) “Our Father in heaven:” The Lord of All desires us to come to Him like a child comes to his/her father...and he's the greatest Dad ever! He's listening to every word we say!
6) “may Your name be honored:” The One we call “Father” is Lord of ALL! He lets us come into His presence and crawl right into His arms! He is above and beyond anything else...and everything we say and do should reflect the honor His name deserves.
7) “May Your Kingdom come soon. May your will be done:” We pray not to get what we want, but to make our lives glorify Him more—that we become more obedient and more aligned with His Kingdom plans and His will as we get to know Him better (Getting to know God more intimately gives us more joy, more strength, more love, more wisdom, more peace, more Christ-likeness...).
8) “Give us our food for today:” We are to come to God with our specific needs!
9) “forgive us our sins, just as we have forgiven:” We need to forgive others if we expect God to forgive us...
10) “And don't let us yield to temptation:” We can't fight temptation on our own because the enemy doesn't tempt us with things we dislike! We have to pray and ask for God's help—and His Son's resurrection strength—so we choose the way of escape He always provides...
Heavenly Father, what a privilege we Believers have—that You desire us to “come and talk with” You! Don't let us neglect this amazing thing called prayer! Help us hear You calling us! Give us right desire to spend more and more alone time with You! We ask this in Your Son's name—for our best good and Your glory...
Post a Comment
Comments for this post have been disabled.