Daily Devotion for June 4, 2016
Colossians 2:13-15 NLT
You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ! He forgave all our sins. He canceled the record that contained the charges against us. He took it and destroyed it by nailing it to Christ's cross. In this way, God DISARMED the evil rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by His victory over them on the cross of Christ.
You have died with Christ, and He has set you free from the evil powers of this world.
...you have been raised to new life with Christ...! For you died when Christ died, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God. And when Christ, who is your real life, is revealed to the whole world, you will share in all His glory.
Our old sinful selves were crucified with Christ so that sin might lose its power in our lives. We are no longer slaves to sin. For when we died with Christ we were set free from the power of sin. And since we died with Christ, we know we will also share His new life. We are sure of this because Christ rose from the dead, and He will never die again. Death no longer has any power over Him. He died once to defeat sin, and now He lives for the glory of God. So you should consider yourselves dead to sin and able to live for the glory of God through Christ Jesus.
I enjoy reading “good-guy-vs-bad-guy” books...but only when the good guy WINS! Truth be told, I stay away from all story lines where the good guy isn't victorious—because the right thing (in my mind!) is for the bad guy to be disarmed, gloriously defeated, publicly shamed, the victims are set free, and there is a happily ever after!
Would you like to know what my favorite “good-guy-vs-bad-guy” story is? My favorite (the only one that meets ALL my criteria!) is the Bible. No other book comes close...especially because it's true! Moreover, its the one book where I am an actual participant (how amazing is that?)—and it was written to me, and for me (and for you!)! Think about this, Brothers and Sisters in Christ...
1) Our God already “ DISARMED the evil rulers and authorities”--when Christ died on the cross! Specifically, with His Son's death, the enemy's weapons were taken away (when “He forgave all our sins, He canceled the record that contained the charges against us! He took it and destroyed it by nailing it to Christ's cross!)!
2) Furthermore, our Jesus Christ DEFEATED the bad guy! “He died once to DEFEAT sin! Death no longer has any power over Him!”
3) Moreover, God “ shamed (the evil rulers and authorities) publicly by His victory over them on the cross of Christ!”
4) In addition, our Lord set the victims FREE! Specifically, through faith in Christ, “you have been raised to new life! Our old sinful selves were crucified with Christ so that sin might lose its power in our lives! We are no longer slaves to sin! For when we died with Christ we were set free from the power of sin! He has set you free from the evil powers of this world!” We are now “ABLE to live for the glory of God through Christ Jesus!”
5) Finally, there IS a happily ever after for every Believer: “when Christ, who is your real life, is revealed to the whole world, you will share in all His glory!”
You, Child of God, are living in and participating in the greatest “good-guy-vs-bad-guy” story of ALL! The foe has been “DISARMED!” The bad guy has been DEFEATED! The enemies have been (and will be!) “PUBLICLY SHAMED!” You have been “SET FREE” and given “NEW LIFE!” In the end we “will share in all His GLORY!”
Spend some time today, Beloved, praising your God....because it's your story, and it's all already been DONE! The victory has already been WON! The best is yet to COME!!!
Post a Comment
Comments for this post have been disabled.