Daily Devotion for May 24, 2017
'Does God Care About Our Church?'
Revelation 2:1- NLT
“Write this letter to the angel of the church in Ephesus. This is the message from the One who holds the seven stars in His right hand, the One who walks among the seven gold lampstands:
“I know all the things you do. I have seen your hard work and your patient endurance...
As I was reading from my Life Application Study Bible, I came upon a side note section titled, “Does God Care about Your Church?” This caught my attention. I wanted to see what the Bible commentator had to say...
1) First of all, the commentator observed that Revelation 2:1-3:21 addressed seven real churches. That is, Jesus told John to write about specific people, places, and events. He did this because Jesus was concerned about the specific issues and individual people of each church. Conclusion: our Savior knows and cares about our people, our location
2) Next, the commentator noted that each individual church letter addressed that specific body's strengths and successes. Conclusion: Jesus KNOWS our strengths and our successes! He knows “all the (good) things” we “do,” and He has “seen (our) hard work and (our) patient endurance!”
3) Third, the commentator explained that in each letter, Jesus personally addressed the weaknesses and failures of that church. Moreover, the letters told them how to correct their failures...so they could grow and serve Him better! Conclusion: Jesus corrects us (through His Word—His Letter to us) so our church can reach its greatest potential—living for Him, shining our “light,” and spreading the Gospel!
4) Furthermore, the Bible commentator noted that Jesus corrected those specific churches with letters—and our church with His Letter...the Bible—because believers are God's vehicle for changing the location they are in...and the world. Conclusion: The local group of believers with whom we worship and serve and live is God's vehicle for changing our city...and our wo
5) Finally, in each letter, Jesus tells each specific church of the coming reward for those who live for Him. Conclusion: We at FBC, Newman will be victorious by believing in Christ, persevering, remaining faithful, and living as followers of Jesus!
Lord Jesus, thank You for caring about our specific church! We put our local body in Your hands. We trust (and ask for) Your Word (Your Letter!) to shape and change and unify us...so we reach our greatest potential for You! We ask this in Your name, Lord...
Post a Comment
Comments for this post have been disabled.